Monday, August 16, 2010

Salsa in Vancouver!

 
YUP, I  SALSA.

Once a week lesson for couple of months now, I have since moved up to intermediate 1.

Roger is my instructor whom I repeatedly refuse when he asks me to dance. I always lose; the next scene would be him picking me up and placing me in the middle of the dance floor. (Of course, I would bust my moves after that)

It has been a busy past week for me: I have made a point to want to get more practice so I attended some of the events offered by the Vancouver Salsa Scene. (Believe it or not, there is an event every day of the week in Vancouver)

1. Salsa At The Forum WEDNESDAYS /August 11th, 2010/1163 Granville St./

After a massive opening nght of housing 300 guests the week before, I arrived at the Forum catching the last few minutes of the complementary lesson by Roger and his gang. Without a habit of drinking when salsa-ing (hmmmmm, the obvious reasons of not wanting to create an unconventional scented perfume and my not so-sure-surefooted moves), mojitos, the classic refreshing summer drink in HUGE jam glass jar did catch my attention (temptation, I resist).

Letting her voice roll with a sultry rough edge, an exotic lady whose name I didn't manage to catch was performing live. Added Bonus.



2. Salsa Duello DOES THE 70s/August 14th, 2010/412 West Hastings St/

Since it is a themed event, my belief has always been: if you got it, flaunt it; if you don't think you do, at least try it with moderation. With jumpsuit making its comeback, I cheated by wearing one of my newly acquired jumpsuit pieces by 'Twice Shy, Organic wear with an attitude. It is made out of a jersey cotton material with the cutest peephole back and strappy shoulder design. I love it! almost like a sporty yoga wear with a twist, perfect for salsa with wide leg swaying when I move.

But, I digress.

Brave of me, I usually go to these types of events alone (anyone? want to join?). I did have a few run-ins of questionable behaviuor but it has not dampened my enthusiasm. It has just lessened my guilt of saying NO to 'do you want to dance?'

3. Dancing in the street/August 15th, 2010/Granville Street between Robson and Georgia/



I had missed the previous 'Dancing in the street' on July 18th and 25th so I made sure I marked my calendar, set my alarm and there I was without fail in the hottest day of Vancouver Summer on Granville Street between Robson and Georgia where it is closed to traffic. (you really did not have to move, trust me, I was dripping just standing there) At 2pm with sun blazing from a cloudless sky, there was a FREE intro salsa lesson offered by Roger in his usual tight tight TIGHT shirt. FUN.



No comments:

Post a Comment