Thursday, May 17, 2007

Almost Doesn't Count?


The formation of art (the gathering, sorting, collecting and associating) rather than any predetermined composition or plans emphasizes the concept of change and transience. Art is seen as a creative journey, as a process that opens itself up to the qualities of non-traditional means. It is an organic process that looks at unconventional execution of the material: the dripping, the staining, the pilling, stacking and hanging. The so called 'new art' has opened up another dimension that involved to the body, improvisation and random occurrences. As I look intensely into the process of painting, I wonder the validity of the statement: 'Art imitates life.'

I always thought that it was the process that counts through my training and experiences of life. However, I just can’t get my head around it in relationships. My friend proposed to me an interesting suggestion: 'it's like buying apartments, you would likely try living in different apartments before committing to a place of your dream.' He suggested that same thing should apply to relationships. Trying out apartments and living in different locations does not forbid you from going after the dream house when you stumble upon it. He told me that I should embrace the notion of 'living in the now', opening myself to date and enjoying the benefit of what love might come with (the good, the bad and the ugly)

But what if you were with someone for all that years, you ended up with nothing to show for? Are you going to be bittersweet about the relationship and walk away saying: that was great while it lasted? The deliverable or the end product, at time, seems greater than anything especially in relationship (imo). I guess, relationship, to me is not just living in the now. It comprises of past, present and future. I suppose, at the age of 27, that I should have had a better grasp of what this is all about. I should have had lessons on it. Maybe I am finding it incredibly difficult to jump from ship to ship or test the water out or maybe I am, simply put, too damn uptight. To this day, I am still trying to derive what shape how I am and what drives my emotions. But I do know this, I am a relationship-er.

1 comment:

  1. like you said tho, isn't it like everything else in life? it's the experience and what you've learned from it, not so much about having 'something' at the end that u can show off. it's growth in knowledge and wisdom..
    i think..
    i will be back later :|

    ReplyDelete